Wednesday, July 4, 2018

MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR GIFTS AND OPPORTUNITIES


More than thirty years ago I memorized a quote that has shaped the way I live: “My potential is God’s gift to me. What I do with my potential is my gift to Him.” I believe I am accountable to God, others, and myself for every gift, talent, resource, and opportunity I have in life. If I give less than my best, then I am shirking my responsibility. I believe UCLA coach John Wooden was speaking to this idea when he said, “Make everyday your masterpiece.” If we give our very best all the time, we can make our lives into something special. And that will overflow into the lives of others.

There’s a story I love about President Dwight Eisenhower. He once told the National Press Club that he regretted not having a better political background so that he would be a great orator. He said his lack of skill in that area reminded him of his boyhood days in Kansas when an old farmer had a cow for sale. The buyer asked the farmer about the cow’s pedigree, butterfat production, and monthly production of milk. The farmer said, “I don’t know what a pedigree is, and I don’t have an idea about butterfat production, but she’s a good cow, and she’ll give you all the milk she has.” That’s all any of us can do – give all that we have. That’s always enough.

Strive to make the most of your potential today.

Reference:

Maxwell, J. C. (2007). Maximize your day: 365 days of insights to develop the leader within you and influence those around you. Manila, Philippines: OMF Literature Inc.

No comments: