Wednesday, July 4, 2018

MANAGE YOUR ENERGY


Some people have to ration (portion) their energy so that they don’t run out. Up until a few years ago, that wasn’t me. When people asked me how I got so much done, my answer was always, “High energy, low IQ.” From the time I was a kid, I was always on the go.

Now I do have to pay attention to my energy level. In “Thinking for a Change,” I shared one of my strategies for managing my energy. When I look at my calendar every morning, I ask myself, What is the main event? That is the one thing to which I cannot afford to give anything less than my best. That one thing can be for my family, my employees, a friend, my publisher, the sponsor of a speaking engagement, or my writing time. I always make sure I have the energy to do it with focus and excellence.

Even people with high energy can have that energy sucked right out of them under difficult circumstances. Leaders in the middle of an organization often have to deal with what I call “the ABCs energy-drain.”

A – Activity Without Direction – doing things that don’t seem to matter

B – Burden Without Action – not being able to do things that really matter

C – Conflict Without Resolution – not being able to deal with what’s the matter

If you find that you are in an organization where you often must deal with these ABCs, then you will have to work extra hard to manage your energy well. Either that or you need to look for a new place to work.

Examine the ABCs. Where do you need to manage your energy?

Reference:

Maxwell, J. C. (2007). Maximize your day: 365 days of insights to develop the leader within you and influence those around you. Manila, Philippines: OMF Literature Inc.



No comments: